Support “To The Other Side of Dreaming”
In a flash of bold courage and brave vision Mia Mingus and Stacey Milbern began a journey of possibility the likes of which the world… well at least we’d never seen. “..two queer disabled diasporic Korean women of color in the process moving from the South to the Bay to create home and community with each other”?! While surely such a phenomena cannot be new to the universe, have YOU ever heard of such an amazingly beautiful thing?!
This radical act of love and reclamation cannot be performed alone. The costs of moving from coast to coast is daunting for anyone, yet even more daunted when dealing with the realities of our able-bodied and inaccessible world.
In an effort to lend our support to two of our favorite people we are working to help them raise the $12,000 necessary to make their dream a reality.
Energized by the collective spirit that their move embodies, we are calling on our communities to support their vision by giving what ever you can give!
As Mia writes, “the reality that once we’re there, there aren’t even going to be that many places we can go to, get into, be with people in. Will we be able to go over to people’s houses to build with them outside of public spaces (the limited accessible public spaces that is)? the knowledge that what we are doing here is finding not just space for us, but for community as well. we are finding home to be intimate with people in, to be queer in, to be women of color in. we are making accessible queer space, accessible queer people of color space, accessible disabled queer people of color space, for all of us; something that i have been yearning for for what seems like forever. places where we can begin to build past these concrete divides of stairs, money, bathrooms, doorways, reading, speaking…silence and exclusion.”
Don’t you want to be a part of this awesome vision?! Don’t you want to build this amazing inclusive community?!
We thought so!
So here’s how!
Support “To The Other Side of Dreaming” chip in!
$12,000 is a lot of money but it’s the actual, for real, no frills, cost to get Mia and Stacey to the bay.
- For Stacey and PA to go out to see a house and/or continue house/housing hunting on next trip flight for two – $750
- PA gas and tolls to get to Mia’s house in ATL- $150
- PA food for a week – $125
- PA pay ($150 x 5 days) – $750
- For Mia to go out to the bay again to either do the walk through (since the house won’t be ramped yet) or go and continue looking for housing since Stacey won’t be able to go and look at most things to see if they can be modified to be made accessible flight – $300
House alterations (if they get this house):
- Main ramp: $1,215
- Home modifications: $500
- Personal care attendants at 8 hrs a day $15 a hour for 2 months: $7320. This will be for the 2 months (we hope it’s only 2 months!) when Stacey is moving her state services over to CA.
- Taxi from airport because of no access to van: $40
- Extra crip baggage: $50
- Shipping our stuff: $800
But building collective disability community… priceless!
If you’d like your contribution to correspond with one of the above needs, let us know by leaving us a note with your donation!
And of course, money isn’t the only way you can help! Check out these other creative fundraising ideas that folks have come up with!
- Etsy Sale – Join Teukie Jae in creating jewelry to sell w/ all proceeds going to The other side of dreaming
- Thaura Zine Distro Sale for The Other Side of Dreaming – people are selling books from their personal libraries to make it happen!
If you have other ideas (like you’ve got a moving truck or you and friends can build a ramp) please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
In radical love,